StratEGYInnovation & Development
In an increasingly globalized and competitive economy, the environment is changing ever faster (new consumer expectations, increasing social and environmental standards, etc.). The ability of companies to regularly renew and diversify their product and service portfolios while taking these changes into account enables them to offer a competitive offer. Pagamon helps companies achieve operational excellence in their development and innovation projects by implementing proven practices to stimulate creativity and innovation.
While industrial groups are competing in ingenuity to optimize their industrial performance, in terms of innovation, they have not yet found the ideal solution: their ability to overcome internal resistance and the cumbersome nature of organizations and processes to “generate” disruption remains to be demonstrated. Faced with this, attempts to integrate external innovations – venture capital, partnerships, open innovation – have not necessarily been more successful to date. What attitude should we adopt to maintain our technological lead in the face of budding start-ups and emerging players?
To resist and succeed in this context, industrial companies are questioning their organization, processes and culture, which have sometimes become too rigid, while at the same time putting user satisfaction at the heart of their strategy: who will tomorrow’s customers be? what will their uses be? how can they be offered an offering that is both differentiating and competitive? The stakes are high, because today more than ever: winner takes all…
We are convinced of the need to :
- Put customer satisfaction and experience at the center of our organization and your R&D projects.
- Steer projects through knowledge and not through resources
- Break down silos and mobilize the whole company in innovation activities: since the probability of success of innovation projects is relatively low, they must involve and communicate all functions in order to maximize the understanding of the need, the capacity to generate new ideas and the anticipation of industrial and commercial risks.
- Constantly adapt to the context: the development cycle for complex industrial products is long, and the Marketing and Development teams must communicate regularly to be able to integrate, at the right level of risk, the new constraints and opportunities that arise during development.
- Regularly freeze the level of development: sharing and freezing technical choices at each milestone makes the development process more robust.
- Anticipate risks: it is necessary to evaluate very early and regularly update the benefit-risk ratio for all innovations in the portfolio, and to know how to stop a project when this ratio becomes unfavorable.
Congratulations to the Pagamon team for its professionalism. Agile is a good fit for the way engineering works!
EMERGENCE OF INNOVATION
- CONSTRUCTION OF A TECHNOLOGICAL ROADMAP
- MEASURING THE VALUE ASSOCIATED WITH INNOVATION
- INNOVATION & DUE DILIGENCE
- EMERGENCE OF INNOVATION BY STIMULATING CREATIVITY
- DISSEMINATION OF INNOVATION BY “BREAKING OUT SILOS”
- FROM FUNCTIONAL DESIGN TO TECHNICAL DESIGN
- DEFINITION OF DEVELOPMENT PROCESSES AND PROJECT GOVERNANCE
- MASTERING DEVELOPMENT MILESTONES AND COMPLEX SYSTEMS
- BALANCING PROJECT RISKS AND TEHCNICAL RISKS
- Alignment of engineering capabilities according to context
- Optimization of the development and architecture process
- Modular approach to design
- Reduction of Time to Market
- Elimination of defects in design and production
- Change management in development and serial life
- Reducing diversity and costs
Points of View
Engineering Design Process
Setting up an engineering design process: having a clear and shared approach is essential at the beginning of the pre-project phase
Reducing the lead time
Reducing the lead time of unstable industrial processes: a concerted upstream involvement combined with classical lean
Mastering the industrialisation of an innovative production process
A structured collaborative approach to ensure quality and flexibility
New sources of growth
After-sales market: find new sources of growth based on a differentiated and accessible offering
Supporting innovation emergence
Support the innovation emergence through a structured, transversal and sustainable approach
Strengthen the management of risk analysis
The client wants to strengthen its risk analysis: Need to comply with the group’s quality policy, Need to adapt to the innovation pipeline, etc. The client wants to introduce the FMEA approach for products and technologies in the innovation and development process Stage / Gate
Restructuration of the project management practices for global engineering
The definition of the requirement by internal or external engineering customers is often imprecise. Engineering works with a wide typology of subjects whose practices are not necessarily aligned. Technical maturity and progress in development are not reviewed and assessed throughout the project. The decision-making process between the project team, management and customers is not clearly specified
Set up of a common approach of the Functional Analysis for an engineering global function
The client wants to strengthen the culture of engineering teams in functional analysis.
To do this, it wants to raise awareness among the Engineering teams and support them in implementing this method at a global level.
Setup of a common functional description for the Laboratory Test Means through functional analysis
Within the teams in charge of ground test resources – test benches, simulators, “iron birds”, etc. – spread over several sites, the client wants to create a community of expertise sharing a common functional language in order to promote consistency and generate synergies
The client wants to create a common repository of ground test facilities
Reduction of the cost of parts bought from external suppliers
The client has launched an ambitious program to reduce the costs of parts purchased from suppliers for its series vehicles. To achieve this goal, it sets up:
– Initiatives to generate and apply cost reduction ideas
– A committee responsible for steering the program at the global level
Analyze of vehicle development costs to contribute to their optimization
The diversification of the range requires an increased rationalization of development costs.
The client wants to finely estimate and analyze the different development costs associated with its vehicles to find areas for improvement.
Reorganization of an automotive engineering, aiming at outsourcing non-core business activities
Ever more stringent emission standards, coupled with increased vehicle complexity, results in a sharp increase in the load on engine control. A small part of the activity is subcontracted to specialist suppliers, with a high level of monitoring. The aim is to contain the internal load while minimizing the risks of supply disruption.
Improve the design and manufacturing quality for vehicles
One observation: too many defects at the end of the line on cars, with causes in Manufacturing, Process Engineering and Product Engineering.
The client wishes to launch a transversal program (more than 7 directions) in order to design and produce “Right First Time”
Design and deployment of transverse change management process for several ranges of vehicles
The client has implemented an efficient and robust modification process within each vehicle range. The logic of development in platforms and modules greatly increases the rate of common parts. The change management process in place is too cumbersome and restrictive for these common parts.
Alignment and facilitation of governance for a Franco-Japanese co-development
The client wants to develop a new industrial project involving French and Japanese employees. Local teams have different cultures, habits and working methods. The client is looking for synergies between French and Japanese entities.