OrganizationSTRUCTURING & IMPLEMENTING COMPLEX PROJECTS
Corporations need to implement wide transformations projects to maintain competitity and adapt to their environment, their clients and employees. To make this transformation a reality, the implementation phase must be a success, complying with the deadlines and the initial budget.
A transformation process cannot be a success without a deep commitment of all the project stakeholders in the adoption of the new practices. Then it is essential to unite each of them and to be able to measure their progress within the transformation process . The action of a PMO is even more necessary given that most of the time every stakeholder belongs to matricial entities organized in silos.
Hence the necessity of a person fully dedicated to the transformation program, that has the expertise in implementing complex projects in international corporations, and that is able to federate people internally around the project.
Managing complex projects aims at structuring and optimise a transformation. That requires a sharp timeline planification and the involvement of every stakeholder. To pilot the project, it is essential to appoint a “Program Management Officer” that will bring his expertise to implement the analytical and planification tools, control the risks, lead the project team, while reconciling the stakeholders interests.
The role of the PMO is to:
- elaborate recommendations with the client according to his needs and specificities
- be catalyst of change
- spread the interest of the project and get all stakeholders’ approval
- bridge the gap with the Top Management
- align the leadership and the contributors
- ensure a good balance between supervision and support
We suggest to:
- Structure the project:
- Budgetary control, planning, «Business Case», risk monitoring, governance, communication to stakeholders, deliverables
- Piloting a programme through the implementation of a PMO
- Analysis of the other ongoing projects and contributing to associate project one with another
- Ensure that all stakeholders work closely together toward the same direction:
- Implement a dedicated team to the relationship between the stakeholders
- Enhance emerging organizations and self-management
- Motivate and galvanize all the stakeholders through communication and compromise
- Secure transformation programs:
- Identify and manage risks with different tools: modelling scenarios, Hazops1, check-list, …
- Alert in case of diversion with the original targets
- Make the project implementation sustainable
- Support worldwide deployments:
- Get a wide overview of the project to anticipate cultural risks and local requirements
- Jauge the level of adoption of each stakeholders and get overall consent
- Adapt the project: accept compromises and aim at reaching a consensus
- Put men and women at the heart of the transformation:
- Manage change and support
- Attentive listening and ask for feedback to those who took part of the project to continually optimise it
- Enhance interactions between teams more than the use of tools
- Lead steering committees to share the progress, the fears, and the different visions about the transformation project
Lorsque la transformation digitale est effectuée correctement, c’est comme une chenille qui se transforme en papillon, mais lorsqu’elle est mal faite, tout ce que vous avez c’est une chenille vraiment rapide.
Structuring the project
PROVIDING GUIDANCE ON THE GOALS AND THE MAIN MILESTONES
MAPPING OF THE ACTORS ALONG WITH THE CORRESPONDING WORKLOAD
PROMOTION OF THE PROJECT INTERNALLY BY FEDERATING THE TEAMS AROUND THEIR COMMON INTERESTS
- AWARENESS AND APPROPRIATION OF THE PROJECTS IN CLOSE COORDINATION WITH EVERY BUSINESS UNIT
- SET UP OF A TRANSVERSAL MANAGEMENT
- SHARE OF OPINIONS AND DISCUSSIONS ACROSS THE BUSINESS UNITS
- IMPLEMENTATION OF METHODS AND PROCESS MODELLING TOOLS
- BUILDING OF THE DEPLOYMENT STRUCTURE
- SETTING UP OF A REPORTING TOOL TO MONITOR THE ACTION PLAN EVOLUTION
- SUPPORT THE DEPLOYMENT TEAM IN THE ELABORATION OF ACTIONS PLANS: TRAINING SESSIONS, UPDATE OF THE PLANNING TOOL WITH THE TEAM AND ADVISE ON THE NEXT STEPS…
Points of View
International project deployment
Carry out a transformation project in subsidiaries around the world.
Choose and deploy a crm tool
CRM tools play a very important role throughout the customer journey and are designed to make an offer known on the market, identify interested prospects and qualify them.
Restructuration of the project management practices for global engineering
The client wants to align the practices of Engineering, which has a wide typology of subjects. Technical maturity and development progress are not assessed throughout the project. The decision-making process between the project team, management and customers is not specified
Roll-out of an international repository
The client wants to build a single global network repository in order to improve the quality of the description of the network shared by several IT applications, and to optimize the productivity of local and central data administrators.
PMO of a global cost reduction program for a car manufacturer
The client has launched an ambitious cost reduction program. The objective is to generate free cash flow of € 2 billion over 3 years and to increase its operating margin, without making any concessions on quality. To achieve this objective, the client sets up a unit responsible for managing the dynamics across its entire industrial scope.
Roll out of the new CRM tool in more than 30 countries
The client wants to deploy a new CRM tool in 30 countries.
Local teams have different cultures, habits and working methods.
Users show resistance to change
Coordination of a seminar in order to product new ideas and build a shared plan
Converge the selected working groups of the client and his partner on a shared diagnosis, common objectives and action plan.